Our family

Our family

Thursday, July 5, 2012

My Journey- Part 1

**Sidenote: Over the next few blogs I'll be going back and telling everyone all about the past couple months and the journey I've been on/ we've been on, but mostly about my perspective on everything...Sorry, there won't be too many pics, if any at all!


What I learned in 2nd grade…..

“Fifty-nifty United States from thirteen original colonies.  Shout ‘em, spout ‘em, tell all about ‘em one by one till we’ve given a name to every state….. Alabama, Alaska, Arizona..”

Ok, I’ll stop there.  You get the point.  Some of you were even singing the song along with me (and still are!).  In 2nd grade I learned all 50 states in alphabetical order.  I can still say all 50 in alphabetical order today.  My teacher made each of us pick a state and do a “State Shoe Box”.  We had to learn all about the state flag, bird, motto etc.  My state…. Texas.  It was not hard to get Texas because in 2nd grade I lived in Florida, so naturally all the kids wanted to do Florida.  I was from Texas though, so I wanted to do Texas.  Texas was my birth state, my home state, the state my parents talked about, the only state my dad had ever lived up until that point…..  Texas. 

Well, the class presented all their states and of course many states were not chosen because there weren’t 50 of us in the class.  So for the unlucky states not chosen, the teacher would do short lessons on each.  When she got to Ohio, this is what she said (I still remember it to this day!)… “Ohio.  Round on the ends, “hi” in the middle.  That’s all you need to know because none of you should ever move to Ohio.  Just trust me, don’t do it.”  Yep.  That’s what she said.  I have no idea why I remember that or why she said that, she must have had some grudge against Ohio.  But nonetheless, a few years later (after moving to Louisiana for 2 years and then briefly back to Texas) my parents announced we would be moving again.  Where you ask?  You guessed it! Ohio.

Thus my journey in Ohio began… the middle of my 7th grade year.  We arrived in the COLD.  We had NEVER seen snow and enjoyed it at first.  My sister and I enjoyed the sledding, but we did not shovel the driveway (that’s too COLD and not fun… we paid a little neighbor boy down the street to once and a neighbor across the street did it often for us, of course mom did it the most).  Eventually, the cold wore on us… me especially- coldness just hurts, physically!  So by the time I began looking for colleges I applied everywhere (South Carolina, Florida, Mississippi, Texas)… notice a trend?… yep, warm places.  Not cold, not Ohio.  Everyone thought I was crazy for trying to get in someplace out of state, but my parents didn’t care, they didn’t like the cold much better and didn’t plan to stay very long anyways.  So, after many school visits and lots of thinking, I chose Texas.  Baylor to be exact.  Yep, I did graduate from Texas A&M, I would transfer over after my 1st year at Baylor, but that’s an entirely different story.

So, there I was.  Young, 18, out of Ohio, ready to move forward to a life in Texas, nothing holding me back.  Well…. nothing except a boy.  A very nice boy.  A boy I had been dating in high school.  Yep, Matt.  It’s ok though, life was working out because he CHOSE to go down to Texas A&M and follow me! (I’ll have you know, I tried to break it off because I felt bad he was following me all the way down there, but he said no way and happily moved.  As it turned out he had also applied to the other schools I had applied to in case I didn’t choose Texas.  How sweet J)  Hooray!  I almost had another Texas convert J  It would take about 5 years, but eventually he also loved Texas as much as I did and we had decided (after 8 years there) to stay and live there and raise our family there.  We loved our life.

All of that came to a drastic stop in March of 2011.  The job he had didn’t work out.  However, it didn’t just not work out… it came to a slamming halt.  We both definitely feel that was God because if it had been more subtle we probably wouldn’t have listened and would have made a big mistake.  And thus began our new life… in… Kentucky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment